The group is studying soft condensed matter with NMR spectroscopy
We are primarily interested in systems which are structured in the intermediate range of the microscopic (10-10) and the macroscopic (>10-6) length scale, i. e. in the range of a few Angstrom to several dozens of Nanometer (10-8 m).
The most important systems on this so-called mesoscopic length scale are colloids, bio-molecules, nano-particles and supramolecular aggregates.
- Structure and dynamics of guest molecules on surfaces.
- Dipolar interactions and chemical structure in amorphous or non-crystalline solids.
- Characterization of the structure and dynamics of mesoporous materials.
- Study of transition metal dihydrides as models for enzymatic or catalytic reactions.
- Quantum tunneling and quantum theory of spin systems in solids.
- Reaction kinetics in the solid state.
- Methodological and technical development of solid state NMR spectroscopy for the structural analysis of disordered systems.
- Application of solid state NMR spectroscopy in structural biology.
- Variable temperature 2H-solid state NMR.
- High resolution solid state NMR techniques like CPMAS, REDOR, RFDR.
- Selective isotope labeled synthesis of biomolecules and model compounds.
- Numerical simulations and analytical calculations.
- Combinations of optical or UV spectroscopy with magnetic resonance techniques like NMR or ESR.