Prof. Dr. Klaus Griesar
Prof. Dr. Klaus Griesar is head of the department “Science Relations” at Merck KGaA.
His responsibilities include strategic partnerships and cooperation with worldwide leading universities, start-up companies and research institutes. Moreover, the elaboration and analysis of “science & technology based megatrends” are a part of his portfolio.
The organizational unit “Science Relations” comprises the “Merck Lab @ Darmstadt University” devoted to the interdisciplinary topic “Low-instrumented Diagnostics & Analytics“.
At the same time, jointly operated with Darmstadt University are Merck’s activities in the field “School Partnership Program” with the “JuniorLab Chemistry” and „Merck Li(v)fe BioLab“ as key elements.
In the context “Science Relations”, Prof. Griesar is representing Merck
- in acatech (German Academy of Science and Engineering)
- in the BDI / BDA (German Industry Association) Committee on Research, Innovation and Technology Policy
- in the Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings
- in the general assembly of the Max-Planck-Society.
His industrial career began in the department of “Corporate R&D Strategy” at SKW Trostberg, and subsequently joined Merck KGaA in year 2000. As a Senior Manager with professional experience in leading positions in the chemical industry (focus: R&D, Innovation Management, Business Development, Internal Venturing, Management of Strategic R&D Cooperation), he achieved a wide range of experiences in building up, directing and linking internal and external expert-based organizations. From 2004 to 2005, he was the head of the Global Business Development of Merck Electronic Chemicals. From 2007 through to 2010, was responsible for the „Concept Labs Germany” devoted to front-end-innovation activities in the field of “Organic Electronics”.
Prof. Griesar in the past and currently is a member in numerous scientific and industrial committees.
Presently, he is
- the President of the “Association of Chemistry & Economics” (VCW) within the “German Chemical Society” (GDCh)
- member of the board of the „Accreditation Agency for the Study Courses Engineering, Informatics, Natural Sciences and Mathematics (ASIIN)
- member of the board of the section “chemical education in schools” (FG Chemieunterricht) within the GDCh
- member of the Editorial Board of Angewandte Chemie.
Prof. Griesar is author of more than 50 publications in the topics of innovation management, business development and strategy. He initiated more than 20 conferences in the field of “Chemistry and Economy” or “Chemistry and Society”.